[clug] Debian Live persistence

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun May 6 23:53:42 UTC 2018

On 06/05/18 13:41, Antonio Michele Marzano via linux wrote:
> Hi, I was hoping that someone on the CLUG list would be able to help me
> on this issue. Recently, I downloaded an iso from a debian website. It
> was debian-live-9.4.0-amd64-gnome.iso. I used rufus 2.18 to extract the
> iso file onto a usb drive. The usb drive was partitioned as a FAT32
> partition.
> I was able to get Debian to run from the USB. The various folders and
> files are visible in Windows and can be edited.There are two issues.
> 1) I would like to add the persistence feature to the Debian Live USB. I
> researched this online and the article said that the persistence drive
> has to be partitioned separate to the Debian Live installed software.
> Also, the separate partition has to be partitioned into a ext4
> partition. I have had trouble trying to do this and while getting Debian
> to boot live from a USB took me longer than expected, I am finding
> myself going around in a circle not being able to get anywhere on this
> issue.
> 2) There does not seem to be a wifi connection in the settings. I had a
> look on the internet and I think I might have to download the driver. If
> that is the case, there is no point addressing this issue until I can
> fix the first issue.
> Does anyone have any ideas on these issues?
> Regards,
> Tony

Hi Tony,

I haven't used the Debian live image for a while - I usually just need
live images for the occasional repair work and the Debian installer has
a perfectly functional live image for that purpose.

But if you want to share files with Windows, then that is another story.

Can you send the URL of the article you read that discusses partitioning
the USB?

As for wifi drivers, I believe that you are correct in stating that
getting the persistence working would be a pre-requisite.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.