[clug] Updated version of VICI

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sat May 5 04:39:38 UTC 2018

Thanks, Brenton:

>> What about some kind of mock-up?
>>
>> {A storyboard is a graphic organizer in the form of illustrations or
>> images displayed in sequence for the purpose of pre-visualizing a motion
>> picture, animation, motion graphic or interactive media sequence. The
>> storyboarding process, in the form it is known today, was developed at
>> Walt Disney Productions during the early 1930s, after several years of
>> similar processes being in use at Walt Disney and other animation studios.}
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storyboard
>> --
>> members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/
>>

> I considered that option when I was starting out on this project. It was
> the first question i was asked when I announced it.
> It is a valid option when you can sit down with the user in a one-on-one
> or small group setting.

Your place, or mine?

> Perhaps some sort of animation or YouTube video could have been
> prepared, but I have serious doubts that anyone would have shown any
> interest.

My drawing page is here.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/art/drawing/index.html

> Another problem with this approach is that it can generate expectations
> which I cannot meet.

You seem nonassertive!

> I first announced this project in April 2014. Any
> potential users would not have been happy to wait 5 years for the
> results.

I have offered suggestions ever since!

> It could have been developed much quicker (18 months or so)
> with enough developers, but it is also the case that experienced
> developers tend to only join projects that have something concrete.

Try a mockup.

{In manufacturing and design, a mockup, or mock-up, is a scale or
full-size model of a design or device, used for teaching, demonstration,
design evaluation, promotion, and other purposes. A mockup is a
prototype if it provides at least part of the functionality of a system
and enables testing of a design. Mock-ups are used by designers mainly
to acquire feedback from users. Mock-ups address the idea captured in a
popular engineering one-liner: You can fix it now on the drafting board
with an eraser or you can fix it later on the construction site with a
sledge hammer.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockup

> VICI has another problem when it comes to attracting experienced
> developers. Its target market is the novice user - exactly the people
> that are unable to help develop the program.

Use a focus group.

{A focus group is a small, but demographically diverse group of people
and whose reactions are studied especially in market research or
political analysis in guided or open discussions about a new product or
something else to determine the reactions that can be expected from a
larger population. It is a form of qualitative research consisting of
interviews in which a group of people are asked about their perceptions,
opinions, beliefs, and attitudes towards a product, service, concept,
advertisement, idea, or packaging. Questions are asked in an interactive
group setting where participants are free to talk with other group
members. During this process, the researcher either takes notes or
records the vital points he or she is getting from the group.
Researchers should select members of the focus group carefully for
effective and authoritative responses.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_group
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/