[clug] Updated version of VICI

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Fri May 4 01:39:38 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-04 at 08:57 +1000, Bob Edwards via linux wrote:

> On 03/05/18 14:20, Brenton Ross via linux wrote:

> >> ./configure runs to completion now thanks
> >>

> > Hi
> >
> > It appears that building VICI is still nearly impossible.
> > Bob has discovered that the recent version of Lua is incompatible.
> >
> > Sadly I have to recommend that unless you are using Scientific Linux or
> > CentOS or RHEL there is not much point in proceeding.
> >
> > Thanks very much for the efforts in trying this. We have made
> > significant progress, but it appears there is still quite a bit to do.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Brenton
> >

> Hi Brenton,
>
> Not impossible, we just need to tweak the configure process a little
> more.
>
> I re-started with lua5.1 (on Debian Stretch), instead of 5.3, and got
> a lot further, but now it fails in testing.
>
> I have now switched to a Centos 6 container (on a Debian Stretch host)
> and have to work my way through finding and installing the various
> dev RPMs (including the C compiler!).
>
> If you could post a list of RPMs to install, that would be most helpful.
>
> cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards.

Bob,

thanks for your persistence in this.

You will need the "C Development Tools" group, qt-devel lua-devel
libxml2-devel libxslt-devel libX11-devel libXext-devel libXi-devel
libXt-devel
Use yum to install them so any dependencies are pulled in.
(This is problematic - I have about 2400 packages installed on this
machine - so there is a fair chance that there might be other stuff
required.)

What sort of failure happened during testing ?
Did it crash or fail a test case ?
There is also the possibility that there is a problem with the
configuration file.

Cheers
Brenton