[clug] Updated version of VICI

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Thu May 3 11:58:52 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-05-03 at 20:47 +1000, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:

> Thanks, Duncan:
>
> >> Bob has discovered that the recent version of Lua is incompatible.
> >>
> >> Sadly I have to recommend that unless you are using Scientific Linux or
> >> CentOS or RHEL there is not much point in proceeding.
> >>
> >> Thanks very much for the efforts in trying this. We have made
> >> significant progress, but it appears there is still quite a bit to do.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Brenton
> >>
> > I was running make when I sent that last email. Some time later, it completed
> > successfully.
> >
> > Lua is not part of standard Slackware but I have 5.1.5 installed from
> > https://slackbuilds.org/ (SBo). It must have been a dependency of some other SBo
> > package I have (I have many). 5.1.5 is the current SBo revision: the README for
> > the build states "This package is for the version 5.1.x of lua, the one
> > compatible with the software that needs lua on slackbuilds.org".
> >
> > In your position, I would ignore Lua 5.3 for now,
>
> {For use with Scientific Linux, CentOS or RHEL, download version A. For
> other distros, download version B.}
> --
> members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Bryan,

We don't really need separate versions for people to download. That
might apply for pre-built packages, but VICI is supplied as source code
and its actually relatively simple for the configure script to adapt to
the system its on - it was designed for just that purpose.

The first problem is more in me getting to understand what has changed
and writing the code so that it works for the various alternatives.
Fortunately that is something that only has to be done once (or each
time a new version is released). The second is the time it takes to run
the tests for each alternative, and all the combinations there of. This
has to be done every time I create a new update to VICI.

The good thing is that VICI has automated testing including for the GUI
components (it needs more) so I don't have manually step through all the
actions.

Since Duncan has got his Slackware version to build I would like to hear
what happens when he runs "make check" to test it.

The next thing on my schedule is to update the user guide. This release
has new stuff for monitoring and debugging scripts and there are
currently no instructions on how to use it.

Cheers
Brenton