[clug] Is there a NVMe equivalent to the Fusion-IO 'Virtual Storage Layer'?

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Mar 20 02:54:02 UTC 2018

Duncan,

Thanks very much for the reply & info.
I saw the nvme driver loaded, and was able to create filesystem and use it like a regular disk. I was after something more.

How do I turn on ‘extended memory’ like ‘VSL’ and bypasses the SCSI / HDD drivers for swap?
[much faster Virtual Memory, because avoids even ‘page faults’ and all the work by the kernel.]
[This is different to ‘swappiness’ in /proc/vm ]

I figure it has to be setup, either to use the whole device, or to use a partition.
I don’t care about wearing out the flash, but thanks for the observation.
For good M.2 SSD's, $0.80/GB vs $13.50/GB for my DDR3 DRAM, so if it wears out in a year or two, I’ve done well.

Any pointers or experience?

regards
steve