[clug] udisks

Stephen Hocking stephen.hocking at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 08:49:57 UTC 2018

The error "Failed to execute child process "mkfs.btrfs" (No such file or
directory)" suggests that the utilities to support btrfs are not installed
on your system. A quick google may tell you how to install them.

On 16 March 2018 at 17:12, Eyal Lebedinsky via linux <linux at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> On 16/03/18 15:00, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
>
>> I have a7.7 GB USB drive. It has a 4.3 GB partition formatted FAT (32-bit
>> version). With the remainder free space, reportedly 3.5 GB.
>>
>> I was hoping to format the latter with a different filesystem type. Such
>> as HFS plus (HFS+) for use with an old Mac. That runs OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).
>>
>> Under Ubuntu, I have been using Disks: "gnome-disk-utility 3.18.3.1
>> UDisks 2.1.7 (built against 2.1.7)". In which I select the USB drive,
>> followed by the Free Space volume. Then I click `+' (Create partition in
>> unallocated space). In the Create Partition window, I choose from the Type
>> menu, "Custom (enter filesystem type)". But in the Filesystem field, I have
>> been unable to guess any entry-text that works!
>>
>> The default shown is "btrfs". But leaving that in, clicking
>> "Create"--yields "Error formatting partition: Error creating file system:
>> Error spawning command-line `mkfs.btrfs -L "Btrfs" "/dev/sdf2"': Failed to
>> execute child process "mkfs.btrfs" (No such file or directory)
>> (g-exec-error-quark, 8) (udisks-error-quark, 0)".
>>
>> Whereas entering in the Filesystem field "hfsplus"--yields "Error
>> formatting partition: Creation of file system type hfsplus is not supported
>> (udisks-error-quark, 11)".
>>

> I am not running Ubuntu or using gnome, but I understand that Ubuntu has a
> package 'hfsplus'
> that provides the mkfs.hfsplus utility. You can always run it directly
> from the command line.
>
> And entering in the Filesystem field anything else (say "HFS
>> plus")--crashes Disks! Leaving "Partition 2: 3.4 GB Unknown", with
>> Partition Type "Linux Filesystem", and Contents "Unknown".
>>

> HTH
>
> --
> Eyal at Home (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)
>

> --

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return"		W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"