[clug] Microsoft Has Acquired GitHub

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 00:43:18 UTC 2018

On 07/06/18 10:00, Brad Marshall via linux wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 at 09:50 Bob Edwards via linux <linux at lists.samba.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Sounds a bit census'esque - except the census people had 5 years to
>> prepare whereas Gitlab had almost no notice of the M$ buyout of GitHub.
>>
>> Good on them for getting their act together so quickly.
>>

> Its funny watching all these people run away from Github to Gitlab because
> of Microsoft, when hosted Gitlab is currently running on Azure.  They are
> moving to Google Compute, but still, its money to Microsoft.

At least GitLab can be self-hosted.

Hopefully GitHub won't become another SourceForge.

Gogs looks interesting, especially the low resource requirements.

https://gogs.io/
https://github.com/gogs/gogs#user-content-hardware-requirements

Self-hosting an alternative is of interest to me - *especially one that
supports Clavis-ci* (so far I've yet to find one).

For others contemplating leaving GitHub:-
https://stackshare.io/stackups/github-vs-gitlab-vs-gogs

<snipped>

> Thanks,
> Brad