[clug] [OT] Personal jet silliness

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sat Jul 21 05:37:03 UTC 2018

We now have two human-sized jetpacks driven by model aircraft jet engines :)
One for flying, fast, and one for hovering and playing Iron Man (or James Bond rocket-man)

Not quite ‘Jetson’ territory, but if you’ve got a ton of money, some fun playthings.

cheers
steve

===============

This $440,000 jet suit lets you hover like ‘Iron Man’
<https://nypost.com/2018/07/19/this-440000-jet-suit-lets-you-hover-like-iron-man/>
 	- ‘customised’ versions on-sale at Selfridges’ - might really be UK£250,000
	-  Gravity Industries / Richard Browning
	- 32mph & 12,000’ ceiling [no rate of climb]
	- 3-4 mins of hover at 4L/min fuel
		- 5 small jet engines, 2x 2 arms, 1x back pack [larger or two?]
		- the Yves Rossy jetpack uses 4x jets
	- 9-mins flying ‘on a cold day'

Inventor
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Browning_(inventor)>

Company website and ‘learn to fly’ :)
<https://gravity.co>
<https://gravity.co/flights/>

===============

Yves Rossy & Jet Wingpack / Jetpack
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Rossy>

Jetman site - some stats. video Dubai flight with Emerates A380 and 2x jetpacks
<http://www.jetman.com>
	- claims 140-170kts top speed [260kph-315kph]

Wired 2015 article.

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)