[clug] [OT] Personal jet silliness
sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sat Jul 21 05:37:03 UTC 2018
We now have two human-sized jetpacks driven by model aircraft jet engines :)
One for flying, fast, and one for hovering and playing Iron Man (or James Bond rocket-man)
Not quite ‘Jetson’ territory, but if you’ve got a ton of money, some fun playthings.
This $440,000 jet suit lets you hover like ‘Iron Man’
- ‘customised’ versions on-sale at Selfridges’ - might really be UK£250,000
- Gravity Industries / Richard Browning
- 32mph & 12,000’ ceiling [no rate of climb]
- 3-4 mins of hover at 4L/min fuel
- 5 small jet engines, 2x 2 arms, 1x back pack [larger or two?]
- the Yves Rossy jetpack uses 4x jets
- 9-mins flying ‘on a cold day'
Company website and ‘learn to fly’ :)
Yves Rossy & Jet Wingpack / Jetpack
Jetman site - some stats. video Dubai flight with Emerates A380 and 2x jetpacks
- claims 140-170kts top speed [260kph-315kph]
Wired 2015 article.
> a carbon fiber wing that has a two meter (~6.5 feet) and weighs 55 kilograms (121 pounds) when fully loaded with jet fuel.
> The four engines produce roughly 50 pounds of thrust each. [88lb thrust on Jetman site]
> eight gallons [30L] of jet fuel provide about 10 minutes of thrust.
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)
PO Box 38, Kippax ACT 2615, AUSTRALIA
mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin
More information about the linux