[clug] [OT] Vint Cerf at ANU, video, 90mins

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Jul 4 02:49:25 UTC 2018

One of the _real_ fathers of the Internet talked at the ANU last week.
After some neat, illustrated history of the internet,
he discusses the problems of the Internet that we need to solve in the near future,
then moves on to discussing the Interplanetary Internet - addressing new, hard problems.

Surprisingly, this isn’t new, has been used ‘in anger’ on Mars, the code is on Git and it’s got Real World application on Earth.

steve

====================

The future of the Internet
<http://www.anu.edu.au/events/the-future-of-the-internet>
> Tue 26 Jun 2018, 5.30–7pm

ANU youtube Channel
<https://www.youtube.com/user/ANUchannel/videos>

Lecture, 46:50 min
2018 JG Crawford Oration: Vinton G. Cerf, The future of the Internet
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huUDdOpeYe8>
> Vint Cerf explores areas where serious technical and policy efforts are needed to reinforce the utility of the Internet and diminish some of the harmful behaviours we are seeing. Some of the work will require transnational cooperation.
> Some solutions have much to do with educating users about protecting themselves when online and thinking critically about content.
> Technical improvements in software production will help, as will better security tools and practices.
> Vint will finish up with some speculations about the arc of the Internet as we get to the mid-2000s.

> slides, “(Internet) Unfinished Business”, 13:06, 13:34
> “Interplanetary Internet”, 30:25 (20:45 for discussion)

Interview 30:44 min
2018 JG Crawford Oration: Vinton G. Cerf in conversation with Genevieve Bell
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtJP8RKEVU8>

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)