[clug] VOIP on Satellite and WireShark filter ip.dsfield.dscp

Keith Goggin lroyjh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 04:36:41 UTC 2018

I've now managed to implement QoS in VOIP traffic on NBN Satellite at my
farm.

My Retail Service Provider (RSP) Skymesh, has implemented an NBN TC1
Critical Priority service for real time streaming most notably for VOIP.

I had previously been unable to Mangle IPtables on my router to force a
DSCP setting of 0x28 or decimal 40 because I didn't have the root
password and couldn't upgrade it to OpenWRT or similar to get access to
that root password.

I had been advised on this list to try a MikroTik hEX RB750Gr3 router,
that worked thanks Cody M-K.

Not being satisfied, I decided to capture some VOIP traffic, of which I
now had plenty, with WireShark and apply a capture or display filter.

I'm running Wireshark v 2.2.6 and can capture traffic on 'any' interface.

I'm aware of the ip.dsfield.dscp parameter but cant find a decent howto.

This seems a bit too superficial for me
https://blog.wireshark.org/2009/09/filtering-dscp/

Any more useful references would be appreciated.