[clug] Server-side scripting

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 31 03:10:29 UTC 2018

Thanks, George:

> +1 for PHP.

I have now installed PHP 7.2 into my PC.

> I liked the way you can use PHP within HTML pages, making it easy to
> add little bits of code while doing most of the web pages in HTML.

I haven't tried client-side scripting either!

{Client-side scripting is changing interface behaviors within a specific
web page in response to mouse or keyboard actions, or at specified
timing events. In this case, the dynamic behavior occurs within the
presentation. The client-side content is generated on the user's local
computer system.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_web_page#Client-side_scripting

> Though I mostly have seen PHP used when using a database that contains
> data for the HTML pages.

iiNet's Homepages Web page, says this.

{Does iiNet provide database facilities?

No. iiNet does not provide any of the following:

     MySQL or any other kind of SQL database
     Microsoft Access databases}

https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/support/node/1830/

>> Long ago, I studied BASIC. Later I taught myself PROLOG. I have
> coded
>> with the Arduino IDE. And I maintain Web pages in HTML.
>>
>> How might I explore this Web site facility, as a recreational
> project?

I forgot to mention that I had learned HyperTalk, using it with HyperCard.

{Client-side scripting languages like JavaScript or ActionScript, used
for Dynamic HTML (DHTML) and Flash technologies respectively, are
frequently used to orchestrate media types (sound, animations, changing
text, etc.) of the presentation.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_web_page#Client-side_scripting

{ActionScript is an object-oriented programming language originally
developed by Macromedia Inc. (later acquired by Adobe Systems). It is a
derivation of HyperTalk, the scripting language for HyperCard.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActionScript

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/