[clug] Sensors

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 30 10:24:11 UTC 2018

Dear Eyal:

> I have no idea what HardInfo is, but each core, as well as the whole CPU
> package, has a different temperature.

Synaptic Package Manager says this.
{HardInfo is a small application that displays information about your
hardware and operating system. Currently it knows about PCI, ISA PnP,
USB, IDE, SCSI, Serial and parallel port devices.}

> I use 'sensors' to see the details.
That reports thus.

{radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +60.0°C

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +38.0°C  (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +40.0°C  (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)}

Then I read that PCI was a bus.

{Conventional PCI, often shortened to PCI, is a local computer bus for
attaching hardware devices in a computer. PCI is the acronym for
Peripheral Component Interconnect[2] and is part of the PCI Local Bus
standard. The PCI bus supports the functions found on a processor bus
but in a standardized format that is independent of any particular
processor's native bus. Devices connected to the PCI bus appear to a bus
master to be connected directly to its own bus and are assigned
addresses in the processor's address space[3]. It is a parallel bus,
synchronous to a single bus clock.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

> It is not always correct but has
> mostly useful information.

Is the PCI bus hotter than the CPU cores, because of poorer ventilation?
And does running my PC on a hot day harm it?
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/