[clug] Netgear router DNS

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 23:04:33 UTC 2018

Thanks chaps.

The pi-hole lets you choose from a wide range of upstream DNS providers,
including Google and OpenDNS. For the moment I have it pointing at Google.

So yeah I think you're right Chris, the Netgear firmware only seems to hand
out its own IP for DNS to clients, but I'm a tad puzzled that it then seems
not to forward those client requests to the pihole. When I have the pihole
IP set in the router's DNS settings, clients get no DNS if they think the
router is the source, but my manually configured laptop hits it just fine.

OpenWRT is probably one way to go... though finding 'client down time' in
the holidays when I can mess with the network is a bit challenging. Another
option is that I could disable DHCP on the router and switch on the
pihole's DHCP and it would take care of everything.

Or I could go back to relaxing on the couch and reading a book. :)

--
MC