[clug] Netgear router DNS

Dale Shaw dale.shaw at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 08:27:07 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 at 2:17 pm, Michael Still via linux <
linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Can you set the pihole as the router's upstream DNS? The the router can
> keep handing out its own IP for DNS and it won't matter.

Unless I’m misinterpreting, that’s what he said he did.

I’m curious what pihole is using as its upstream server — is there any
chance it’s using the Netgear? That’d be a recursive lookup of doom, if so.
It may also explain why pihole worked as a recursive server before the
Netgear was changed.

If using root servers or some other resolver (ISP, google, cloudflare,
opendns, ...) then I’m out of ideas. Maybe, for some reason that made sense
to the developer, the Netgear expects the “use this DNS” server to be
reachable via its WAN interface?

Michael

Cheers,
Dale