[clug] Netgear router DNS

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 06:08:01 UTC 2018

Does anyone have experience with Netgear home routers and DNS?

I have a WNDR3700V4 Netgear router.

I have a pihole DNS server on my local network. If I edit my laptop’s
/etc/resolv.conf, I can get it to resolve via pihole.

What I want to do is get my router to tell DHCP clients to use the pihole
for DNS.

So I set the pihole IP as the ‘Use this DNS’ in the router’s settings, but
it doesn’t seem to change anything. Before the change, my laptop has the
router’s Gateway IP as the DNS address in /etc/resolv.conf, and after the
change and a disconnect/reconnect to the router, it’s still that. But
clients can’t get DNS.

I kinda hoped that the router would Do The Right Thing, but it seems not.

Ideas?

—
MC