[clug] Latest version of VICI

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Mon Apr 30 08:15:08 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 17:58 +1000, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:

> Excuse me, Brenton:
>
>  >> This doesn't look like Ubuntu friendly .deb!
>  >> --
>  >> members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/
>  >>

>  >You would be correct.
>  >Normally it is up to the various distributions to create those >packages.
>  >Until that happens you will have to install the things mentioned in the
>  >README and then use configure and make.
>
>  >I have built it on my Scientific Linux system, so it should also work
>  >on Centos and RHEL, and probably Fedora and other Red Hat derivatives.
>
> Please warn readers of these limits. You might so edit the project home
> page and README file.
> --
> members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Bryan,

It is actually a bad idea to put deb or rpm files on SourceForge as they
are usually highly dependent on the distributions. You would end up with
hundreds of them as the distributions release new versions. I would
expect that visitors to SourceForge would be interested in the source
code version, not something pre-built.

Announcing that its only been tested on Scientific Linux would be
counter-productive.  I would much prefer people to try it out and report
any problems.
The aim is for it work on all Linux GUIs so it needs to be tested on a
wide variety of systems.

The first line of the README on the downloads page is "This is an
interim release mostly for testing.".  That should be sufficient warning
not to expect a polished product.

Thanks for taking an interest.
Brenton