[clug] April 2018 CLUG Meeting

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 07:46:17 UTC 2018

On 27/04/18 15:45, Keith Goggin via linux wrote:
> Thanks to Geoff Huson for his excellent 'Web Security Primer' last night.
>
> I know 'an' IP address of my bank and if every thing I needed was at
> that address I'm guessing I'd be safe.

As has been pointed out already - IP addresses can change (though banks
rarely do so), however, more importantly, IP addresses can be spoofed
(BPG attacks).

Responsible businesses (banks?) use DNSSEC to authenticate their IP
addresses.

You can check a DNS record for an address on the Linux CLI:-
dig +dnssec +multi anz.com.au @8.8.8.8 | grep NOERROR && echo 'Server
Authenticated' || echo 'Server Unauthenticated'

or with a web browser:-
https://dnssec-analyzer.verisignlabs.com/anz.com.au

<snipped>

Kind regards