[clug] alternative desktop for ubuntu

jhock at iinet.net.au jhock at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 27 01:16:37 UTC 2018

After Pete reminding me about Mate I've loaded it this morning and it's configured just as I like it straight from the box. Maybe it picked up a previous configuration file that I had ported over from my old computer although I did have to change the font size, for my poor old eyes, and the background image to my favourite Pink Floyd stain glass window.

I still have the option to boot standard Ubuntu just in case something goes wrong.

I now need to test Mate. That's likely to take a long time because it takes time to use the applications.

I want to thank everyone who made suggestions and I'm a bit sorry that I haven't tried everything that was suggested but considering I'm used to the Mate desktop and how easy it was to install I think I'll stick to it unless something goes wrong.

Thanks again for all of your good suggestions. I love this list.

John.