[clug] Linux Mint 18.3 and DELL Precision 5510 Laptop

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Tue Apr 24 07:20:27 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 01:57:02PM +1000, Anestis Kozakis wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> On 24 April 2018 at 13:24, Duncan Roe via linux <linux at lists.samba.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Anestis,
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 12:42:49PM +1000, linux wrote:
> > > HI all,
> > >
> > > Have a bit of an issue I haven't been able to find an answer to.
> > >
> > > I've installed Linux Mint 18.3 on a DELL Precision 5510.
> > >
> > > Whilst I can connect it to the internet with an ethernet cable, there's
> > no
> > > wireless connection available.
> > >
> > > Running the Drivers app doesn't bring up any Wifi Drivers to install.
> > >
> > > Help?
> > >
> > > Anestis.
> > >
> > I had the same trouble with a laptop I bought for LCA2018. A microcode
> > upgrade
> > fixed it.
> >
> > Cheers ... Duncan.
> >

> Can you elaborate please?  Steps, etc?

Sorry that should be *firmware* upgrade.

In /lib/firmware I had iwlwifi-3168-21.ucode. That was just too old.

To find this, I manually ran the commands from the rc scripts that bring up
wlan0 until I came to one that failed - can't remember which. Then I ran that
one under strace and saw where it went looking for .ucode files down to
iwlwifi-3168-22.ucode. The latest at
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/
is iwlwifi-3168-29.ucode so that's what I fetched.