[clug] IO redirection

Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 17 14:31:23 UTC 2017

I found it!

>> . Test.txt
>
> WTF? That worked too! But I can't find documentation explaining the use
> of `.' as a command. Please refer me to such an explanatory page.

"source evaluates the commands of the specified file in the current
shell. This is different from starting a new process to perform the
commands (i.e. fish < FILENAME) since the commands will be evaluated by
the current shell, which means that changes in shell variables will
affect the current shell. If additional arguments are specified after
the file name, they will be inserted into the $argv variable. The $argv
variable will not include the name of the sourced file.

If no file is specified, or if the file name '-' is used, stdin will be
read.

The return status of source is the return status of the last job to
execute. If something goes wrong while opening or reading the file,
source exits with a non-zero status.

. (a single period) is an alias for the source command. The use of . is
deprecated in favour of source, and . will be removed in a future
version of fish."

https://fishshell.com/docs/current/commands.html#source
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/