[clug] scp

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 10:19:35 UTC 2017

On 07/09/17 20:11, Tony Lewis via linux wrote:
> On 07/09/17 19:35, Eyal Lebedinsky via linux wrote:
>> If I am a real paranoid (is this really a tilde?) then I would try
>> $ scp -v Test.txt me at laptop
>
> That will just do a normal copy to a local file named me at laptop

?
If there is a user called me on $laptop, it'll fail (silently), because
it'll 'try' to write to the root of $laptop, where "me" doesn't have
write permissions... (?)

i.e. needs to be "scp $laptop:/home/$username/$somewhere" or "scp
$laptop:~/$somewhere_beneath_$users_home"

if "me" is the same user name on $laptop as $tower it's redundant... as
scp and ssh etc assume the login uses the same name as the person
running the command if it's not given on the command line.

Note that the error output described the problem - Brian hasn't
generated an ssh key, so the key copy fails.

Kind regards