[clug] PC graphics trashed

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sat Oct 28 20:52:01 UTC 2017

Bryan,

What brand and model graphics card does your computer use?

X11 has changed its way of managing its configuration, and I am not
completely familiar with this new way.

if you do a "ls -al /etc/X11", I wonder if you see a configuration
file?  If I am using a Nvidia card and using Nvidia's proprietary
drivers, then there often is a configuration file, and at times I
delete this file and then reboot, or run nvidia-xconfig to create a
new nvidia configuration file.

I am not familiar with Radeon configuration.

X11 does not appear to require a configuration file if you are using
Intel video supported in the Intel CPU.

It is also quite possible that the problem you are experiencing has
nothing to do with X11 configuration, like a faulty video card, or
your monitor lead not connected correctly, but in most of my problems
with X11, it has been because of my changing the X11 configuration or
installing other X11 software.

Regards,

George.