[clug] Running OpenWRT? Upgrade to LEDE

Chris Smart clug at csmart.io
Wed Oct 25 07:03:03 UTC 2017

OpenWRT was forked and the LEDE project[1] created, however they worked
out their differences in May 2017 and plan to re-merge[2].

While there are still lots of merging yet to happen, the important
factor seems to be that all of the development has been happening in
LEDE project, not OpenWRT (most of the core developers seem to have gone
with the fork). This became clear recently when LEDE patched for KRACK
and I wondered where OpenWRT was at with it.

So if you're running OpenWRT on your router or wireless AP, then you may
want to consider upgrading to LEDE if you haven't already. Once the
merger happens, releases will continue to be based on LEDE anyway, they
will just be re-branded OpenWRT and served out of openwrt.org domain.

I've successfully upgraded my devices by just flashing the latest
squashfs-sysupgrade.bin from LEDE.

I then ssh'd in and did an upgrade which went well. All configuration
was retained.

You might need to re-install any custom packages you previously had.
however. Also, If you use the GUI then /etc/config/luci needs to be
moved out of the way before hand and luci-ssl needs to be installed.

-c

[1] http://lede-project.org/
[2] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-dev/2017-May/007336.html