[clug] Ryzen processors and CentOS - and a for sale

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sat Oct 21 23:13:48 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I bought a new AMD Ryzen processor and matching motherboard for my home server
recently, and if you do the same you'll need to know two things:

1) You'll need to update to at least a 4.10 kernel, which in CentOS can be
done by enabling the El Repo repository and updating to the 'kernel-mt' package:

https://www.servethehome.com/stop-constant-centos-7-3-crashes-amd-ryzen-using-kernel-4-10/

2) The Ryzen processor doesn't have any GPU on board, which means that even if
your motherboard has video outputs (e.g. HDMI or DisplayPort) you won't
actually get any video.  You'll need to have, or buy, a graphics card.  This
is different from Ryzen-compatible AMD A-class CPUs, which has both GPU and
CPU in the package.

Learning experiences all round :-)

On a related note, I have an Asus M2N-MX Micro-ATX motherboard with Athlon-II
CPU, heatsink and 8GB of RAM to sell.  It's working perfectly, except I
managed many years ago to rip off one of the on-board SATA ports, so it only
has three remaining.  It's good for a small home server or desktop machine.

$50 or nearest offer.

Have fun,

Paul