[clug] [OT] C-Sides on tonight

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 13 00:12:57 UTC 2017

On 13/10/17 10:31, Dale Shaw wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> On 13 October 2017 at 10:00, Bob Edwards via linux
> <linux at lists.samba.org <mailto:linux at lists.samba.org>> wrote:
>>
>> [...] (including VMWare, which is Linux - so
>>     got the Linux reference in...).
>
> You sure about that? ;-)   There used to be a Linux kernel in there
> somewhere but it's long gone.  However, most/all of the various virtual
> appliances (VMs) shipped by VMware are based on Linux (vCenter, NSX
> Manager, NSX controllers, NSX edges, etc.)

Hi Dale,

Well, now that you ask, I am not so sure that ESXi is running a Linux
kernel... When I ssh in, I get a busybox shell and there are many
Linuxy traits, but nothing that actually says Linux, so maybe not...

I think that the older VMWare ESX system did use a Linux kernel.

So, thanks of the correction on that...

cheers,

Bob Edwards.