[clug] October 2017 CLUG Meeting

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Sun Nov 19 06:00:01 UTC 2017

Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - November 2017

 Date:          23rd November 2017 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

 Time:         18:00 - 18:55

 Abstract:     It's BeerSIG time!
               'What's BeerSIG?' I hear you ask! BeerSIG is a social
               gathering, and an opportunity to get together with
               like minded people and share a social pint.

 Location:     Wig and Pen, Llewellyn Hall, Canberra School of Music
               Look for the table with a stuffed toy penguin

Time:          19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

Title:         Flow Control From TCP to BBR

               At the heart of the Internet’s protocol is the TCP end-to-end
               protocol engine. It is the role of this transport protocol to
               take an underlying unreliable datagram service and transform
               into a reliable streaming service. In additional, TCP has been
               given the task to “share” a common network in some form of fair
               fashion, yet still be able to maximise the efficient use of the
               network. This aspect of TCP is termed “flow control"

               In this presentation we will describe the evolution of TCP flow
               control protocols, looking at the challenges posed by changes in
               the network, including large buffers, high speed and mobility.
               We will also look in detail at the latest offering in the TCP
               space, namely the BBR protocol, and look at how it works both in
               theory and in practice

               Please note that this is a technical talk, at a minimum pre-reading
               the wikipedia pages for TCP and Flow Control(data) is recommended.

 Venue:        Room N101
               Computer Science and Information Technology Building
               North Road
               The Australian National University

               See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

 Food/drink:   Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
               about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
               want some.

December Meeting - 28rd December 2017 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

CLUG end of year drinks - venue TBA