[clug] Filename extensions

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 21:32:00 UTC 2017

On 9 November 2017 at 00:36, Bryan Kilgallin via linux
<linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Is it good practice to continue doing this? Or rather might I dispense with
> that historical practice? I send copies of some into the wild. Would lack of
> ".txt" or ".jpg" cause problems to users of desktop Windows or a mobile
> phone?

As a specific counter-example, consider how to differentiate between
types of text files (for syntax highlighting, knowing which
programming/markup language was used, etc.) if you didn't have file
extensions.

They may not be needed (especially in the case of binary files with
appropriate magic numbers) by software to display them, but are useful
for humans who are looking at a bunch of files to know what they all
are.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com