[clug] Intel Active Management Technology

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Wed May 17 02:44:47 UTC 2017

    Scott,

I use Synaptic Package Manager (for Debian).

George.

At Wednesday, 17-05-2017 on 12:33 Scott Ferguson via linux wrote:

On 16/05/17 01:30, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux wrote:

>> Note that Ubuntu uses the Debian package management system.
>
> I had previously used "Ubuntu Software" to install packages.

That is a GUI for the Debian package management system (aptitude,
dpkg,
.deb packages etc).

>> You can then use apt-file to search for files that are part of a
>> package...

Online man pages:-
https://manpages.debian.org/ (very fast)
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/ (no so quick)

> I don't understand "apt", needing to absorb an explanatory
introduction
> on its use.

There is no package called "apt", rather there are a number of
packages
with "apt" in their name. They all have man pages that document their
use - those man packages are installed onto your system at the same
time.

See for yourself:-
apt-cache --names-only search ^apt | more

>> If the instructions say:- "make, config, make install", install
your
>> "build essential" (gcc, kernel source, kernel headers),
>> "make" the software, configure the software, then use
"checkinstall" to
>> build a basic debian package, then install the debian package (see
the
>> quoted references or this mailing list for hints).
>
> I had avoided software requiring this!

It's rare that you'd need to do so - but occasionally you may want to
install something from source code because it/or that version, is not
available in your distributions repository as a pre-compiled debian
package.

So I have some reading to do.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
(you can ignore the step "sudo apt-get install cvs subversion git-core
mercurial")

>> make, config, make install is for "any" Linux distribution.
>> make, config, checkinstall is the variation to be used for any
>> distribution based on Debian.
>
> I would appreciate a talk on such lore!

If you need to hear and watch:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQ4QBegur8