[clug] Storage

David C cottrill.david at gmail.com
Sat May 6 22:08:58 UTC 2017

Hello all,
We have many servers at work laid out with a normally partitioned OS drive
supporting filesystems and one or more partitioned drives supporting
everything else on a large logical volume.
So if you're building a virtual server, why would you embrace the risk and
annoyance of resizing a partition table, compared with allocating the raw
disk (with offset) as an LVM pv?
If allocated without a partition table, extending filesystems is quick and
nearly risk free.

By the way, I am aware that just adding another disk is also quite easy,
and so this is more a question of opinion or good practice, rather than a
witch hunt.

Thanks,
David