[clug] Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) for Linux Desktops

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sat May 6 07:15:48 UTC 2017

     Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) is virtualization technology
that hosts a desktop operating system on a centralized server in a
data center. VDI is a variation on the client-server computing model,
sometimes referred to as server-based computing.
searchvirtualdesktop.techtarget.com/definition/virtual-desktop-infrastructure-VDI

Does anyone have experience with VDI for Linux KVM Guest Desktops and
can recommend a working FOSS solution capable for watch Video
(preferably in HD) ?

>From my searching today, there is no real working solution as yet.

Potential solutions;

1) Spice - includes video and audio but suffers from screen tearing
and lag

2) VNC - does not support audio

3) XRDP - I was not able to get audio to work, but it might be
possible?

4) KVM-VDI - I do not know much of this product.

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Desktop_virtualization
The U.S. Company Desktone, which was acquired by VMware in October
2013,[12] [1] has the trademarks on the expressions "desktops as a
service" and "DaaS" from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU#Remote_Desktop_Protocol
https://lwn.net/Articles/611212/
https://www.cb-net.co.uk/linux/debian-8-jessie-enable-rdp-server/
https://www.hiroom2.com/2016/05/24/debian-8-remote-connect-to-gnome3-desktop-with-vnc-xrdp/#sec-6