[clug] Of topic: does anyone have access to a 3D scanner and printer?

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Mon Mar 20 00:19:38 UTC 2017

Hi John

Even though I have a 3D printer, I've solved this for friends by taking
a cast of the gear to make a mold, making a cast of the two gears,
cuting the affected section out of one gear, tracing and cutting a good
piece out of the other gear, making a mold of the new hybrid gear, and
then making a cast of that new, franken-gear with a two-part casting
epoxy-style mix.

So far, their gears have run for several years, but I've been able to
cast them several spares in that time without too much extra work.

let me know if you're interested in giving this a try

regards

--
Stephen Walsh: Today included that moment where someone said "Wait, you're *that* Steve Walsh? You are way calmer than the company doco makes you seem"
Gabriel Noronha: I always assumed there was a community service video in the staff induction about you...