[clug] IPv6 in Canberra

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 06:46:35 UTC 2017

On 25/06/17 11:26, Sam Parkinson via linux wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody know how to get access to ipv6 in Canberra?  I've got a
> cloud vm that has ipv6, and it kind of worries me that it might be 100%
> broken but I would never know.

If you can access it - it's not broken. There are plenty of tools to
monitor your VMs networking.

> I've got iiNet/Transact, but it seems to be v4 only.  Interestingly
> even the ACT Government network in schools also seems to be v4 only.  I
> even ran a test on my phone (using an optus MVNO) and it is v4 as well.

Optus provide multiple APNs - perhaps you need to try another APN for
IPV6 support (call Optus support). Alternatively check your phone's
configuration (not all phones support IPV6). In my experience Telstra
only gives IPV6 to NBN and Business accounts.

> Is this a misconfiguration on my end or or is Canberra ipv6-phobic?

Whirlpool page on ISP support for IPV6 in Australia
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/hw_feature_242

IPV6-test results page:-
http://ipv6-test.com/stats/country/AU

Test your IPV6 capability:-
http://www.test-ipv6.com/

IPV6.org.au try IPV6 page:-
http://www.ipv6.org.au/getipv6.php

Most government departments I'm familiar with have moved to IPV6 -
perhaps your experience with ACT schools is due to a local LAN
configuration (not my understanding). Perhaps because some people equate
NAT with security (there's an ARP joke there somewhere)?

Note for others - "ip a" will show network details, if you have IPV6
enabled you'll see an IPV6 address e.g.:-
3: wlp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP
group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:22:fb:c4:6d:04 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.122/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic wlp2s0
       valid_lft 2532sec preferred_lft 2532sec
    inet6 fe80::f93:8ed:dbd6:813c/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

In this case the inet6 address starts with "fe", which means it does
*not* support IPV6 internet (nor do addresses starting with "::", "fc",
or "fd")

Kind regards