[clug] Debian 9 "Stretch" 64 bit only, or just dropping support for some older 32-bit CPUs

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Mon Jun 19 11:01:48 UTC 2017

    Steve,

It seems there are too many CPU configurations in existence for me to
wrap my head around, and has let me to miss understand the reports
about dropping support for "older 32-bit CPUs". It would seem that
this statement did not mean all 32 bit CPUs just some of the older
versions of 32 bit CPUs.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/debian-is-dropping-support-for-older-32-bit-hardware-architectures-in-debian-9-503832.shtml

https://fossbytes.com/debian-is-dropping-support-for-older-32-bit-hardware-in-debian-9/

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.html

2.1. SUPPORTED ARCHITECTURES

 Debian 9 introduces one new architecture:

	*

 64-bit little-endian MIPS (mips64el)

Debian 9 regrettably removes support for the following architecture:

	*

 PowerPC (powerpc)

The following are the officially supported architectures for Debian 9:

	*

 32-bit PC (i386) and 64-bit PC (amd64)

	*

 64-bit ARM (arm64)

	*

 ARM EABI (armel)

	*

 ARMv7 (EABI hard-float ABI, armhf)

	*

 MIPS (mips (big-endian) and mipsel (little-endian))

	*

 64-bit little-endian MIPS (mips64el)

	*

 64-bit little-endian PowerPC (ppc64el)

	*

 IBM System z (s390x)

https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170617.en.html

A total of ten architectures are supported: 64-bit PC / Intel EM64T /
x86-64 (amd64), 32-bit PC / Intel IA-32 (i386), 64-bit little-endian
Motorola/IBM PowerPC (ppc64el), 64-bit IBM S/390 (s390x), for ARM,
armel and armhf for older and more recent 32-bit hardware, plus arm64
for the 64-bit AArch64 architecture, and for MIPS, in addition to the
two 32-bit mips (big-endian) and mipsel (little-endian), there is a
new mips64el architecture for 64-bit little-endian hardware. Support
for 32-bit Motorola/IBM PowerPC (powerpc) has been removed in Stretch.

http://linuxnews.2daygeek.com/2016/05/09/debian-dropped-i386-architecture-support/

he following processors, supported in jessie, are now unsupported.

	* AMD K5, K6, K6-2 (aka K6 3D), K6-3
	* DM&P/SiS Vortex86, Vortex86SX
	* Cyrix III, MediaGX, MediaGXm
	* IDT Winchip C6, Winchip 2
	* Intel Pentium, Pentium with MMX
	* Rise mP6
	* VIA C3 ‘Samuel 2’, C3 ‘Ezra’
George.

At Monday, 19-06-2017 on 20:31 Steven Hanley wrote:

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:15:21PM +1000, George at Clug via linux
wrote:
>     I read today that Debian 9 is 64 bit only. It seems that
many
> Linux distributions have now stopped supporting 32 processors.

On what architecture?

This is debian of Borg after all

The following are the officially supported architectures for Debian 9:

    32-bit PC (i386) and 64-bit PC (amd64)

    64-bit ARM (arm64)

    ARM EABI (armel)

    ARMv7 (EABI hard-float ABI, armhf)

    MIPS (mips (big-endian) and mipsel (little-endian))

    64-bit little-endian MIPS (mips64el)

    64-bit little-endian PowerPC (ppc64el)

    IBM System z (s390x)

They have however dropped powerpc

Still supporting i386 so no worries you can still install debian on
your 486

See You
    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
i will lean into you, and you can be the wind