[clug] Migration of server

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Thu Jan 5 13:23:59 UTC 2017

    Paul,

My two cents worth. I have been a long term Debian supporter, however
I also use CentOS, and beside a few differences between Yum and APT
for package management, I quite like CentOS. The long term support is
useful if you don't want to keep rebuilding your system every few
years.  I found getting used to yum's package repositories not as
easy as Debian, and at times difficult to use for obscure
(non-mainstream) packages.  It seems to be Debian has far more
packages available in their main package repositories.  CentOS seemed
to just have the standard and most used packages, in a standard build.
It is certainly worth a try if you have the time.

If someone has used CentOS for MythTV, please comment, maybe even
point to some installation instructions. I have not yet bothered about
MythTV, but would like to give it another try.  Last attempt I was
unable to find drives for my TV Tuner card, but these days I am not
that interested in free to air TV, no decent, regular SciFI.

When building a new system on an existing computer, I often purchase a
new hard drive, remove the original, then build the new system onto
the new drive. If the new build works out, I keep that, if not I
remove the new drive and revert to the old drive and its working
system. I either use the new drive in another project, or use it for
another attempt to build the new system. But at least I have the
original working system whenever I need it.

George.