[clug] Migration of server

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Wed Jan 4 22:26:42 UTC 2017

On 04/01/17 21:02, Paul Wilson wrote:
> I've been procrastinating this for a while, but it's my Fedora box is a bit
> unstable outside the mythtv app.
> I want to install a fresh build of ubuntu this time to get off the fedora
> upgrade cycle.
> My current strategy is to install on a new HDD, and migrate my db,
> website's and scripts incrementally..
> To minimise downtime I was hoping to install with my other PC and relocate
> HDD onto mythtv box.
> Is this strategy doable? Or is there another path?

Looks fine to me.

Have you considered trying CentOS rather than Fedora or Ubuntu?  It has a much
longer release cycle and you can get additional repositories for installing
MythTV and various video card drivers.  I've been using it since CentOS 5 but
from CentOS 6 it supported my tuner card from a fresh install.  My MythTV
install on CentOS 7 works just fine.

I have a backend that also serves as a home file server, and then a front end
for playback in the living room.

HTH,

Paul