[clug] Side note to: Cloud servers, ZFS, SnapRAID+MergerFS (was Re: Topic for Feb meeting) email etiquette

jhock at iinet.net.au jhock at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 22 02:31:49 UTC 2017

Scott,

Just as a side issue regarding email etiquette.

I understand Scott that you have preferences but when I was at Uni back
in the 90's we were told lots of email etiquette principles. Some of
those were:

1. snip out the irrelevant content. ( I prefer to use valid XML to show
my snippings.)

2. Indent the previous users' email. (So that one can see the
difference between the email postings.)

3. Add your comments either inline, if it appears to be better related
( like answering questions), or above the previous email. (So that one
doesn't have to scroll through tonnes of pages to see the most recent
comments. Also, one has probably already read the previous emails
because one is probably following the thread. If not then one just
needs to scroll down the different indentations to get an idea of what
is being discussed.)

4. Use plain text because not everyone can read the proprietary format
or HTML. (This isn't usually an issue now a days but some HTML does
have invalid XML or potential virus content.)

In conclusion, I'd prefer to use to my email response format.

Thanks.

John.

On 21 February 2017 7:18:23 PM AEDT, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>