[clug] Cloud servers, ZFS, SnapRAID+MergerFS (was Re: Topic for Feb meeting)

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 08:18:23 UTC 2017

On 21/02/17 17:50, jhock at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Wow. Lots of technical stuff there that has gone over my head. Hence,
> the ask for help in probably a more simple system.
>
> It all started when I received a Western Digital Technologies (WDT)
> Mycloud, 4Tb hardware. I did manage to set it up but it didn't have a
> client for Linux, it only backed up media, it wasn't encrypted and it
> was supposed to send my data to WDT which I definitely don't want. I
> want my data in my hands. Anyway, I took it back to the shop and got
> my money back. I thought there must be something like this using
> Linux. Hence my post.

There isn't a package for Linux - because you don't need one. In KDE or
GNOME you should see it in "Network".
You can mount it with NFS.

Tips
Set MyCloud to use a static address. For extra security don't use the
Public MyCloud directory.

Notes
The hard drives in WD MyCloud do not have a good track record.
MyCloud runs a mostly standard Debian.

Kind regards

> John.
>
> On 21 February 2017 4:41:18 PM AEDT, Tony Lewis <tony at lewistribe.com>