[clug] Digitising vinyl records

Hugh Fisher hugo.fisher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 10:20:04 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.
>
> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?

Not nearly technical enough :-)

A couple of years ago I attended a talk at the National Film & Sound
Archive on recovering content from old analog audio media. IIRC, the
state of the art is to use high res digital cameras to photograph the
grooves, image processing software to merge any cracks or gaps and
straighten the curved tracks into one long strip, and then just
convert the width of the track pixel by pixel into an audio level.

Sure it will cost much more and take far longer, but think of how much
fun you'll have :-)

--

        cheers,
        Hugh Fisher