[clug] Digitising vinyl records

Stephen Hocking stephen.hocking at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 09:40:32 UTC 2017

I tend to go out & buy the CD versions. This also gives me an excuse to
backfill those albums of each artist I'd never got around to buying.
Failing that, there are are any number of USB ADC/DAC thingies about, plus
open source audio editors. The fun comes in splitting each track out from
the WAV file of each side of the album.

On 13 February 2017 at 18:51, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC (and I really have not checked), Peter Chubb gave a talk at LCA in
> 2005 about turning a vinyl record collection into a digital one.
>
> At the time I was fresh off being a Technical Liaison Officer for Panasonic
> Australia and high quality turntables were a thing I knew a bit about. In
> fact I had spent years servicing turntables at that point. The Technics DJ
> direct drive beasties were much in demand. So I nodded through Peter's
> presentation.
>
> Fast forward to 2017.
>
> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.
>
> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?
>
> --
> MC
> --

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return"		W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"