[clug] Remote connection

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Sat Feb 4 09:36:22 UTC 2017

I wrote:

> Of those I see that Remmina is already installed. Though I couldn't find
> a user manual for it!

Ubuntu Software Centre's entry for "Remmina Remote Desktop Client",
referred to a Developer Web Site.

http://www.remmina.org/wp/

Which lists an FAQ page.

http://www.remmina.org/wp/faq/

That in turn links to a Remmina Wiki page.

https://github.com/FreeRDP/Remmina/wiki

{For Ubuntu users we have an official PPA with Remmina 1.2

https://launchpad.net/~remmina-ppa-team/+archive/ubuntu/remmina-next

To install it, just copy and paste the following three lines on a
terminal window

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:remmina-ppa-team/remmina-next
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install remmina remmina-plugin-rdp libfreerdp-plugins-standard}

I didn't understand the above incantation, but did as bidden!

{A Personal Package Archive (PPA) is a software repository for uploading
source packages to be built and published as an APT repository by
Launchpad.[1] While the term is used exclusively within Ubuntu,
Launchpad host Canonical envisions adoption beyond the Ubuntu community.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Package_Archive

The Remmina Wiki page above, continued as follows. Again, I performed
the ritual as instructed! Though I don't understand when or how often it
must be repeated. Or what dire consequence would result from failing to
appease the gods!

{Don't forget to exit/kill al your running instances of remmina. The
best way to do it is to reboot your PC. Or, if you cannot reboot, kill
all running remmina with

sudo killall remmina

By default the RDP, SSH and SFTP plugins are installed. You can view a
list of available plugins with apt-cache search remmina-plugin}
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/