[clug] Upgrading fish

Bryan Kilgallin (laptop) kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 1 18:32:06 UTC 2017

Both my PC and laptop run Ubuntu. The PC has 12.04 LTS Precise. Whereas
the laptop has 16.04 LTS Xenial.

I have successfully upgraded my favourite command line shell on the PC,
to version 2.4.0-2.

However, I have not had such success with the laptop, which still has
fish version 2.2.0.

"fish
friendly interactive shell
Fish is a command-line shell for modern systems, focusing on
user-friendliness, sensibility and discoverability in interactive use.
The syntax is simple, but not POSIX compliant."

I like fish's simplicity. But I wonder what significance there might be
in that non-compliance?

{fish-dbg
debugging symbols for friendly interactive shell
Fish is a command-line shell for modern systems, focusing on
user-friendliness, sensibility and discoverability in interactive use.
The syntax is simple, but not POSIX compliant.
This package contains the debugging symbols for fish.}

I don't understand what such debugging symbols are about.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/