[clug] For dyndns junkies

Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 22 11:10:42 UTC 2017

Thanks for the history, Scott:

> WA was a
> bit behind the rest of Australia when it came to IT as part of the
> secondary school syllabus - and prior to '91 what is now the Edith Cowan
> Uni only provided teacher training.

In `89 it was churning out accountants. Their programming language was
COBOL.

> 1979 saw computers being deployed at Telecom (now Telstra) - with
> several networking protocols being part of tech training.

 From `78 to `80 I was with Western Geophysical in Dhahran, Saudi. Using
TSO (Time Sharing Option), and trying to learn PL/1.

> By 1980 Computer Science was part of the HSC in Victoria (after my time
> as a student) - and networking was just laplink (3-wire serial
> transfer), Base10T, or TokenRing.

In `84, I bought the second Mac sold in Victoria. And at 300 bps, phoned
a Melbourne bulletin board from Warrnambool.

> Melbourne Uni got their first computer in 1950 and started giving CS
> qualifications shortly after.

In `74 I punched cards for an ICL 1906 mainframe at Southampton Uni, UK.
The language was BASIC.

> I don't know the early CS history of other
> educational institutions but I suspect Sydney may have led Melbourne
> (the first Melbourne Uni computer came from Sydney).

In `83, UWA's MBA course offered BASIC as the sole computing unit. So I
commuted to WAIT and learned Systems Analysis and Design instead.

> I certainly wasn't the first to have Linux networking running at home on
> Linux - well before "Windows".

The first computer I owned was a Sharp PC-1500, in `83. I maxed it out
with 11 KB RAM!
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/