[clug] For dyndns junkies

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 05:35:24 UTC 2017

On 22/08/17 14:33, Bob Edwards via linux wrote:
> On 22/08/17 13:40, Scott Ferguson via linux wrote:
>> https://cloud.google.com/free/
>>
>> Amazon also offer a similar deal - 12 month free account.
>> https://aws.amazon.com/free/
>> However the Google Cloud offer (reportedly) has better performance
>> https://bblank.thinkmo.de/network-caps-in-cloud-environments.html
>>
>> better than Azure also...
>> https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/?cdn=disable
>>
>> https://lowendbox.com/ has a good list of cheap VPS providers. Both
>> Digital Ocean and Vultr offer VPS hosting in Australia and good deals at
>> around $10US pm - but many people require much less than what those
>> deals provide. So if you pool resources with trusted friends you can get
>> a useful VPS for the price of a loaf of cheap bread per month.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>

> With all these "free" and low-cost VPS offerings, all with static IPs,
> it makes one wonder if the world really is running out of IPv4 address
> space, or if it all hasn't been gobbled up by these big VPS providers...
>
> cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards.

Wonder no more(?)
[quote]
When looking at the assigned IP blocks at IANA (Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority), what becomes immediately clear is that the US
Department of Defense has a significant number of large IP blocks. We
only looked at /8 IP blocks, the largest blocks you can get, and there
are 12 of them assigned to the US DoD and related organizations. Each /8
block holds 16,777,214 IP addresses, so the DoD have in effect allocated
more than 200 million IP addresses. That should hold them for a while.

The closest any other corporation comes to this are Level 3
Communications and Hewlett-Packard, with two /8 blocks each. The
DoD-owned IP blocks together with the 26 corporations and universities
who have their own /8 blocks hold more than 671 million IP addresses.

These were all early land grabs, most of them made between 1991 and 1995.

Some notables among the companies with one /8 IP block are Apple (but no
Microsoft in sight[Note: later they bought Nortels. ScottF]), IBM,
Halliburton and the Ford Motor Company.
Companies and organizations with IPv4 /8 blocks from IANA Owner 	Blocks
~IP addresses
US Military (Department of Defense etc.) 	12 	201 million
Level 3 Communications, Inc. 	2 	33 million
Hewlett-Packard 	2 	33 million
AT&T Bell Laboratories (Alcatel-Lucent) 	1 	16 million
AT&T Global Network Services 	1 	16 million
Bell-Northern Research (Nortel Networks) 	1 	16 million
Amateur Radio Digital Communications 	1 	16 million
Apple Computer Inc. 	1 	16 million
Cap Debis CCS (Mercedes-Benz) 	1 	16 million
Computer Sciences Corporation 	1 	16 million
Deparment of Social Security of UK 	1 	16 million
E.I. duPont de Nemours and Co., Inc. 	1 	16 million
Eli Lily and Company 	1 	16 million
Ford Motor Company 	1 	16 million
General Electric Company 	1 	16 million
Halliburton Company 	1 	16 million
IBM 	1 	16 million
Interop Show Network 	1 	16 million
Merck and Co., Inc. 	1 	16 million
MERIT Computer Network 	1 	16 million
Massachusetts Institute of Technology 	1 	16 million
Performance Systems International (Cogent) 	1 	16 million
Prudential Equity Group, LLC 	1 	16 million
Société Internationale De Telecommunications Aeronautiques 	1 	16 million
U.S. Postal Service 	1 	16 million
UK Ministry of Defence 	1 	16 million
Xerox Corporation 	1 	16 million
	40 	671 million

The table doesn’t include the blocks allocated for RIRs and other
special purposes.

One thing that strikes you is the low number of ISPs on this list. This
is most likely due to their late appearance on the internet when it was
harder to reserve big IP blocks, forcing them to settle for smaller blocks.

That the US Department of Defense has such a huge amount of the IPv4
address space is partly due to historical reasons: They developed the
internet in the first place (ARPANET) and have a strong vested interest
in the evolution of the internet.
[/quote]
http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/02/13/where-did-all-the-ip-numbers-go-the-us-department-of-defense-has-them/

Apparently ARIN don't own the IPV4 addresses:-
http://www.internetgovernance.org/2012/09/22/its-official-legacy-ipv4-address-block-holders-own-their-number-blocks/

...hence they are bought and sold:-
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2228854/microsoft-subnet/microsoft-pays-nortel--7-5-million-for-ipv4-addresses.html

and of course:-