[clug] For dyndns junkies

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 22 03:38:42 UTC 2017

On 22/08/17 13:06, Andrew Janke via linux wrote:
>> Of course, you can also run your own dyndns service, as I do as
>> as sub-domain of my own domain, for multiple devices.
>>
>> In this case, I use an SSH forced-command on my publicly-facing
>> server to run a script which uses the client IP(v4) address and
>> nsupdate to update the bind DNS server.
>
> I've often wondered about getting my own VPS but have never got over
> the initial inertia required to hand of CC details. For now I use
> dyndns and host from home. Not the best security wise, but so be it.
> If nothing else I am 99.999999999% sure of what logs are and aren't
> kept on things I run.

Wow! That is a lot of 9s! What country was your CPU chip manufactured
in? (assuming you didn't wire your own from transistors you baked
from sand yourself...).

I keep some low-care services running on my VPS, such as a minetest
server, as well as my DNS server and a few other things (gotta get
value for money from that 25GB of SSD and 1GB RAM...).

Then I use a VPN to send traffic for higher-care services to servers
running at home. Not sure that the logs on those servers are 11 9's
secure, but likely much harder to get at than any logs on the VPS.

As for CC details, I use the same one to pay for my VPS as I use for
my NBN connection. Not sure I trust either more than the other...

cheers,

Bob Edwards.