[clug] Circumflex

Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 21 04:56:24 UTC 2017

Thanks again, Scott:

> or use dos2unix to check a directory of text files

So I installed "dos2unix".

> dos2unix -ic *.txt

Though I couldn't find that `i' option. And it complained about an
"0x1A" (control-Z) character at the end of that old DOS file!

> Of course "file" will also tell you whether it's a MS-DOS-style text file:-
> file crlf.txt

Yes, it said that old file was "data"

>> Whereas with a different sample text file, the grep operations worked fine!
>
> grepping MS-DOS-style text files is a bit tricky (depending on your
> version of grep).

The simplest solution seems to me using a modern Linux test-file for
practice with regex!

> https://explainshell.com/explain?cmd=grep+-U

Thanks for that reference, which I have bookmarked.
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/