[clug] Circumflex

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 16:35:34 UTC 2017

On 21/08/17 02:15, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux wrote:
> Thanks, Kim:
>
>> Regular expressions are confusing.
>
> I have been "tearing my hair out", trying to match the end of a line in
> a file. Say I want to select from a file, the line whose final character
> is `E'.
> But the following returns nil!
>     grep 'E$' Sample.txt
less Sample.txt
testE
teste
tested

grep [E]$ Sample.txt
testE

(you didn't specify a capture group)

grep [d]$ Sample.txt
tested

grep [deE]$ Sample.txt
testE
teste
tested

This is why I suggested learning in a text editor to begin with - so you
can see what works and why.

Kind regards

--
    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm reply

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html