[clug] Circumflex

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 08:20:44 UTC 2017

On 20/08/17 17:33, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux wrote:
> Thanks, Eyal:
>
>> I think that the '\d' notation is a Perl extension, so try
>>      grep -P ^\d'

Match on start of line followed by any digit
grep -P '^\d'
or
grep -P "^\d"

(I suspect the "" is incorrect, though it works).

> I was confused among versions of regular expressions! Discovering by
> trial and error. So to search for `-' I had to escape it with `\'.
>
> What Web resource explains standard, extended, and Perl variants?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression

or, look at the book I sent you (Chapter 7 is Perl, 8 is Java, 9 is .NET)
Page 144 covers the different engines.

Note that page 6 - 22 is just about egrep

<snipped>

Use curl and grep to get all the links from the wikipedia page"=
curl https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression 2>&1 | grep -o -E

Re: searching man files. "man -k" is the equivalent of "apropos". To
brute force search man files use "man -K $searchterm" (warning - it will
may take a while. Or just open a man file and type "/" followed by the
searchterm - then press Enter for jump to the first match (if there is one).

Kind regards