[clug] Circumflex

Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 18 10:02:21 UTC 2017

Thanks, Kim:

> Actually, programmers don't tend to say circumflex.  I usually use caret but there are other names.

ASCII 94 seems referred to interchangeably as "circumflex accent" or
"caret". I wanted specifically its use in Linux.

"In regular expressions, the caret is used to mark the beginning of a
string, or the beginning of a line within that string (depending on the
regular expression dialect and specified options); if it begins a
character class, it indicates that the inverse of the class is to be
matched."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret#Programming_languages

> https://blog.codinghorror.com/ascii-pronunciation-rules-for-programmers/
>
> http://ascii-table.com/pronunciation-guide.php