[clug] VNC into home server?

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Mon Aug 14 12:03:21 UTC 2017

On 13/08/17 10:28, Paul Wayper via linux wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Usually when I'm travelling I find out that our home server - which runs
> MythTV and is therefore a vital part of our entertainment system:-)  - has
> decided to reboot and hasn't come back up again.  When it's running I can ssh
> in to see what it might be doing, but when it's booted but CentOS is not fully
> loaded I can't do a thing.
>
> The solution to me is a small KVM device that allows a remote VNC connection,
> so I can make that available through my firewall.  Unfortunately, the ones
> I've found seem to be a bit expensive:
>
> http://www.adder.com/products/adderlink-ipeps  - PS/2?  In this era?

it's a lot easier to get a 2 x ps2 socket to usb type-a dongle that it
is to get a usb type-a socket to 2 x PS/2 plugs

> <snip>
>
> Anyone heard of anything else like this?

I've deployed the LANTRONIX spider into a number of remote sites;

https://www.amazon.com/1PORT-USB-Remote-KVM-Spider/dp/B000OH5MDO/ref=sr_1_1

ATEN make a PCI card with RMM function;

http://www.aten.com/global/en/products/kvm/kvm-over-ip-switches/ip8000/#.WZGQFidLfdE

Supermicro make  a similar product