[clug] VNC into home server?

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sun Aug 13 00:28:43 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Usually when I'm travelling I find out that our home server - which runs
MythTV and is therefore a vital part of our entertainment system :-) - has
decided to reboot and hasn't come back up again.  When it's running I can ssh
in to see what it might be doing, but when it's booted but CentOS is not fully
loaded I can't do a thing.

The solution to me is a small KVM device that allows a remote VNC connection,
so I can make that available through my firewall.  Unfortunately, the ones
I've found seem to be a bit expensive:

http://www.adder.com/products/adderlink-ipeps - PS/2?  In this era?

http://rose.com/prod/ultralink2.html

This looks promising - an open board that runs off a Raspberry Pi:

https://www.nexlab.net/product/rasky/

But I can't see any way to buy it there.

Anyone heard of anything else like this?

Have fun,

Paul